Thursday 24 January 2008

Threading Fine Needles

Threading the fine beading needles in order to continue work on my crazy patch took me several mins to FIND the thread never mind the eye of the needle and I have to confess to wearing both GLASSES and using MAGIFYER at one point (I'm using the clear monofilament and now know why they call it "invisible thread"!)

In the photo below you can see the even FINER needles that were used by my Late Mother in her jewellery and stringing of pearls that were threaded not with one length of thread, but two. It was her party-piece to carry around with her a pack of said needles, cut a length of thread and invite anyone to thread it either themselves or with any gadget such as needle threaders - and then after they failed (which was inevitable!) she'd THEN thread it doubled - SEW practiced at this she didn't need her glasses even, what is remarkable is that she was half blind with eye cancer at the time!



Below are the final needles still sitting in the pin cushion in a tray that Mum was working with up until she died, still threaded except for 4 and I've often tried to thread just one just once!


HAPPILY my beading needle is rather easier to thread and I spent an hour sewing on some shisha mirrors and accompanying them with embroidery before adding some beads and sequins too!




I'm particularly pleased with the ruched ribbony bit it looks far better than in the photograph, in fact the pictures don't look particularly good on this bright morning and I wonder whether the light has anything to do with it?

Scary moment when Bertie jumped up to my crowded work top to investigate and I just managed to swipe from HIM the upended top containing handful of TINY beads as HE swiped a paw around it sending it flying across the table, to punish me for the shove to the shoulder he then made off with three skeins of embroidery silk across the landing! (I've put him outside in the garden for now and I expect he'll do something awful later to punish me for that like muddy pawprints ..)

2 comments:

Jules said...

Wow you must have better eyes than me girl!;)

SewIknit2 said...

me? no! I can't even see the NEEDLE never mind the EYE to thread! lol!!

Are you up to anything new, lately?
Sue