Sunday 20 January 2008

Creative Embellishing!


Above are a few pieces of "fabric" I've created some heart shapes from using the Janome Embelliser - I am considering buying one of these but don't really know what to do best to make the most of it creatively wise! I plan to add some free machine stitching atop and some beads and perhaps some other bits and pieces too to embellish further! - this is stage I in the proceedings!


When my good friend Debs suggested I lookat the Bernina blog and see some beading done by machine I just had to have a go! The light is not terribly good and the shot rather poor, but you can just make out the little cluster of beads sewn with monofilament thread top and bobbin thread under and (rather scarily!) NO presser foot! I did this sample with my colleague and only JUST remembered about the tiny needle required as I pressed the NEEDLE DOWN button! we had a bit of a funny moment when it all went upwards and beads flew past our noses at high speed - note to the cautious - WEAR GLASSES or at least keep your eyes out of the way!
Anyway it was fun to do and nice to see how it works but I think I'll stick with sewing on tediously by hand in future as it is at least, less PAINFUL!


Finally! my crazy patch is just about complete in terms of stitching! I'm really quite pleased about how its turned out and its interested me sufficiently to know that I need to explore this method of sewing rather more to get the best from it! I have been helped enormously by reading the blogs and lessons on stitches from Annie's Crazy World and her website in particular!
From there I found the marvellous Sharon B's stitch dictionary which has loads of stitches and combinations and even I managed a few of them!

2 comments:

Val said...

I really love my hand embellisher and made some little felt embellished bags at Christmas. I intend to try it out on old knitwear soon. I shall envy you the Janome embellisher if you buy one.

SewIknit2 said...

Well I'm thinking of getting the hand needle felting kit as I feel MOST inspired to do smaller projects after seeing the wonderful effects just from a bit of water/washup liquid from pals at creative textiles!