Tuesday 29 January 2008

Creative Textiles - week 12

Sorry I've forgotten, temporarily, what week we're on! I'll edit the title later when I'm thinking straight!

This week we continued the theme of Felt which was unfortunate, as I'd apparently misheard and THOUGHT we were doing free machine stitching on solubles! I wasn't the only one to have misunderstood but I was the only one without my "felting gear"!

Never mind, luckily I'd taken along my knitting and managed to add another few rows to that and of course time is never wasted when talking creative textiles!!
Lots of show'n'tells this week from friends on the course showing off their further samples in felting and we had interesting ones with fibres meshed you wouldn't have thought of!!First prize for madness I mean original thought! has to go to Kim with her "hair of the dog" which was quite literally dog fur from her Mother's Jack Russell!!

The felting technique this week for us to try was grid work.
I'm still not entirely convinced.
But everyone else seemed enthusiastic and certainly some of the effects were rather interesting!
I have got some bits and pieces and have promised to do a grid and further samples of wet felting at home after reassurance that SMALL samples would be perfectly adequate!

Layers of horizontal and then vertical pencil thin strips of roving (or other woollen matter) are laid on the towel, bubble wrap as before, and pieces of interesting matter which might be fabric such as silk or could be fibres such as mohair, silk cocoon etc are inserted into the open areas of the grid before a piece of netting is covered atop and soaked in the soap solution before the felting procedure is applied.

No comments: