Tuesday 29 January 2008

My Felting Experiments

To be honest, I think my experiments with felting are rather more at the pre-felt stage than proper finished "felting" however it was a couple of hours of fun working on the set I did yesterday:
This sample has come out quite nicely in that its quite solid and well meshed and is a mixture of wool tops and teased "wool". Possibly its lack of experience and partly lack of commitment on my part with the sheer hard work of rolling that stops me from enjoying this aspect of the course but I plan to explore further machine needle punching/felting and might look at buying a hand needle set too.

This is another piece quite similar to above and unfortunately the photo's of the other pieces have not turned out terribly well due mostly to the way I took the shots (in front of sunny window in my work room!)


The piece I'm most pleased with is this! above is the piece originally which you can't really see from the poor shot but is a nice mix of two colours of roving in a buttermilk and soft yellowy green mixed together.
Below is a terrible shot I know! of the finished piece where I'd folded it in half and rotary cut it to square it before stitching blanket stitch around the outside and adding a heart shaped pearl button (from knitterbabes) and I've run some simple running stitch around the outside shape of the button about three times to echo the shape and you'll have to trust me when I say its simple but NICE!!


Now I did want to DO "a piece" and after agonising for half an hour on quite WHAT to do and HOW to do it, this sort of evolved! I did plan it in that I had vague thoughts of a water/sea based piece but I'm actually quite pleased with it because it IS all original idea and just sort of came together quite the way I had in my head (there was a horrid moment before I added the stitching where I thought WHAT am I doing! and nearly looked in the directory for a course in flower arranging or sugar craft instead!!)



Anyway there are bits of simple stitching and a couple of tiny pearls and piece of ricrac and this will be transferred to my work book in due course.

No comments: