Wednesday 16 January 2008

Hand Embroidery Stitches - sampler


The photo below shows some of the hand embroidery stitches I've had a go at on a sampler I am creating to try out this *new to me* form of stitchwork.

For these I used as reference the book I loaned from local library The Country Living Needlework Collection : Embroidery by Karen Elder. Its a nice book and has some lovely beginning ideas for use in crazy patch which is my reason for learning these stitches, however its not a book I'd rush out and buy!
Some of the stitches are less than satisfactory, not least because THIS particular book doesn't make it absolutely clear which way to stitch and its been a bit hit and miss as to where I aimed the needle and the angle achieved!!
Still I had fun doing it and it was FUN to see the lovely effects!

I had a go at putting these stitches onto my piece of crazy patch, I'm not sure if you can see all that clearly but when my camera is fully charged and I've done a few more seams I'll takesome further pictures.
I worry, slightly, that the toning threads don't stand out as much as perhaps they ought! but I am mindful that the project isn't complete yet and its always that much better when fully finished!

To complete my sampler I plan to refer next to another book also loaned from the library: Embroidery, Techniques & Patterns by Marie-Noelle Bayard, which, at least, has a better guide for newbies like me as well as a few more variations.

Its not as easy as you might think, but I can see myself becoming interested beyond a loaned book or two and expect I'll have to buy a good book as reference!

No comments: