Thursday 24 January 2008

Nostalgic Moments!

Some of the accessories from my late Grandmother's old Singer sewing machine which lives tucked away in the loft! Had a tidy up of my "memory & celebration of friendship" shelf and thought I'd share some of the things I keep up there. Interesting some of the feet, the little labels attached are barely readable as the ink has faded but she's written remarks such as "for tucks"!


A lot of things live in a tin I bought a few years ago from Cotton Patch, I quite like it as Singer Machine Co., figured quite a lot in my late Grandmother and Mother's sewing lives (along with lots of other folk!). Its a bit modern, but a nice tin all the same!

Here is the original agreement taken out in 1909 by my great grandad on behalf of his wife, my great grandma, Ada. Inside are the stamps to indicate the amount paid each week which seem to vary, presumably by how much they could afford each week!



Inside each cover you can see above and below some important notes such as :



"you cannot expect to get the best stitching results from your sewing machine if it is fitted with an inferior needle" ! "If you purchase any other than SINGER NEEDLES for your machine you experience constant trouble and annoyance" ! (this last in red and uppercase just to get the message across!).

I love it that they add:
"There are Singer Shops in every town in every country for supplying needles, parts, oil etc. A post card addressed to Singer Sewing Machine Co., Ltd in any town will receive prompt attention" !

Finally:
"BAD OIL does not last as long as good oil, and therefore is really dearer" !!

No comments: