Monday 9 July 2007

Pony Tales and childhood memories

Regretably I cannot get my printer to scan for me some photo's I wanted to share. While I wait for it co-operate I thought I'd list some thoughts and memories:

Candy was born on 5th May 1974 - final foal born to my first ever pony, Zillie, whom we had not realised was in-foal at time of purchase and was passed over to my now Late Mother as "her" pony. A dun Welsh cob type, she was a playful filly who became one of the family after an accident left her in need of round the clock care when she nearly ripped her eyelid off and Vets advice was to have her put down!
My Mother wasn't going to agree to this without exploring all avenues and we were put into 24hr rota's to "watch" her. All I remember, at the time, was NO SCHOOL! YAY!! OFFICIALLY NO SCHOOL!!
Candy has gone on to have a very full and useful life retiring out to stableyard/farm on behalf of a scheme that takes on retired horse/ponies for a riding for disabled scheme. At 33yrs she is the oldest retired pony they've had and the lady responsible for her wellfare currently, promises that she has been much loved and it is only out of kindness and following Vet's reluctant advice that she will be put down before next winter as it is not going to be fair on her to do otherwise.

I enjoyed my childhood very much in respect of our collection of ponies and horse over the years and indeed it is a time of personal reflection as we come to say our goodbyes to Candy in terms of, perhaps, a goodbye to childhood memories too! The photo's are a wonderful collection of our family and this afternoon I shall spend a leisurely hour or two looking through them before packing in their battered old suitcase where they "live".

For me, its a time of reflection and not necessarily sadness; such losses and upheavals are inevitable at "our" age - aren't they? I find myself protecting my OWN children where once I too was protected, which is what "mothers" do, after all! Life as they say, does indeed carry on around you!

No comments: