Friday 21 September 2007

Creative Textiles course

On MONDAY I will be attending the course mentioned previously that is tutored by Sarah Hazell - Creative Textiles! This week being the first was mostly about introducing ourselves, finding out what the course is about and where the fire exits are and how to find the kettle, jar of coffee and the hidden stash of "best" biscuits!!

I arrived 10mins early at the centre and seeing a lady stood propped against the wall on her mobile phone, I stood and queued beside her.
Another lady came and queued beside me.
And then another.
We sort of nodded; generally muttered about it being the *first day* and the courses we were attending and how we hoped they'd open up soon!
Three more ladies arrived! walked past! and IN THROUGH THE DOOR!
The lady at the head of the queue wasn't in fact IN the queue. in fact there wasn't a queue! we all filed in and I found half the class already sat and ready to go!!

Sarah arrived, with daughter in tow! turns out we'd had a burst water pipe incident locally, and though I'd heard it on the news listening to the radio earlier, because it was the next district down I didn't register it might affect "us" and it turns out the SCHOOLS are all closed!!

My new mobile phone doesn't have the children's school in it and I decided since they both had keys I'd ring *home* and see if their school was closed. Didn't get a reply, assumed they were not affected. Big mistake! AFTER the class, I went into the shopping centre to pick up some sketch pads and various bits and pieces pondered about looking at things in Beatties before realising that the bipping noise everyone had been puzzling over in class was in fact ME! my MOBILE in fact! bipping to inform me that - sigh - there was a MESSAGE for me!
From my son!
Turns out, they HAD been sent home, however as they had told their respective teachers that their Mum was *out* only the elder was allowed home. HE was then told as I was only out for the morning that HE could collect his younger brother.
Off went no.1.son to collect from the hall no.2.son.
only, MY friend who works f/t as Solicitor in time wasn't able to come home and HER no.1.son wouldn't collect HER no.2.son (who is MY no.2.son's best friend). MY no.1.son (who used to be friends with HER no.1.son but isn't so much these days and in particular after today definitely ISN'T) had to take HER no.2.son home too!
I got home to find MY no.1.son home alone.
MY no.2.son, my friend's no.2.son and two more girls had all scarpered!
Eventually managed to track the whereabouts OF them and agreed they could go to MY friend's house if they PROMISED to BEHAVE and was to be available for collection by dh at 6.pm for lift home!
He wasn't.
6.50pm and dh was still sat outside looking for them!
7.15pm they come home and I was not best pleased or impressed!

Domestic stress aside, the CLASS was lovely! Inevitably, its not as straight forward as it should be, however having had similar things happen when a few years ago I signed for one C&G's 7307 and ended up changing 4weeks in to th 7407 to change AGAIN to another level, I wasn't at all surprised when I discovered that in fact I'm NOT signed to start the beginners level, no, I'm actually on the ADVANCED stage.
hmm.
I don't describe myself as *geographically;mathematically;ARTISTICALLY challenged* for nothing but I'm assured that I'm of standard and basically not to blither on about being crap at the creative side of things! Got carried away with the enthusiasm of it all and signed a cheque for £150.
gulp.

Our programme is as follows:

  • 24/9/07 The Knitting Tradition: Guernseys
  • 1/10/07 The knitting Tradition: Fairisle
  • 8/10/07 Surface Design: Klee
  • 15/10/07 Surface Design: Klimt
HALF TERM
  • 29/10/07 Patterns of India: Kantha
  • 5/11/07 Patterns of India: Shisha
  • 12/11/07 Patchwork: History of the tradition
  • 19/11/07 Patchwork: traditional patterns
  • 26/11/07 Review of portfolios
  • 3/12/07 Presentations followed by overview of the Spring term to follow
All sounds very interesting!
(and rather scary. the portfolio bit, I mean.)

Thought I'd get ahead of myself and spent 4hours searching the net for clues as to what it is I'm supposed to be working on however aside from finding a cheap flight for a weekend break to Guernsey and a small soil association accredited farm in Cornwall that offers a service to handknit traditional "ganseys" I ended up thinking perhaps I should add *computer seach engine challenged* to the list and not bother to wait in necessarily for the postman to arrive with the confirmation of my failure!

The presentation doesn't bother me, I've done this before and I've worked professionally in the area of standing up and *talking* and I'm quite good at blithering on with a few distinctive references to technical know how but the sketch books and portfolios we are to prepare are something else!

Our tutor suggested we carry, at all times, our cameras in our handbags for those inspirational moments when we might trip over a broken drain and see something reflected in the curve and the light that gets our creative juices going!
Naturally there was a moment when three ladies produced THEIR pocket sized cameras to a round of applause .. and I wondered, whether I might start a new trend of dragging about a midsized tote bag for MY rather larger proportioned camera that still takes four AA batteries! and has been previously described as "the brick" by our sons who also sport modern slim line cameras that look like ipods and in MY opinion, far too slim to be safe from random pick it up and THROW IT AWAY by mistake thinking is bit of plastic ..

TOMORROW we're to take along a pair of sized 4mm knitting needles and we're all going to knit a gansey. (no. I mean a swatch. ) (I hope!).

I tried to find off the internet a free pattern whereby I could practice a bit of authentic knitting but I apparently have language issues with Google. Google doesn't, apparently, UNDERSTAND my instruction and informed me that there were 0 results. fine. maybe the tradition has died out completely?

No comments: