Monday 19 November 2007

Creative Textiles Course : week 9

Last night we had SNOW! Typical! the lads were hoping for a *snow day* from school and were doing all kind of superstitious activities like wearing their pj's inside out (apparently this is guaranteed to work according to Matt's school pal!) thankfully it DIDN'T work and we didn't have a snow day!
As this would have meant we had a snow day at college too!

We had HEATING this week! which was a relief! and also "refreshments" (somebody must have washed up and tidied the kitchen sufficiently to permit the continuation of this!) and posh new chairs too in our otherwise rather basic classroom!

I didn't get chance to finish my crazy stocking, however it was good to show a project-on-the-go at our class this week and I might try and finish it for next week!

Crazy Patch, I've decided, isn't really my thing! and not an area with which I have much interest HOWEVER I have been thrilled to discover that I actually like paper or foundation piecing! Up until now I've never had the courage to actually TRY this and I have plans to search the 'net for some more suitably interesting patterns to try this out further!

Last year when I attended a quilting course at the local Arts Centre, one lady in particular had a passion for this and said it was highly addictive, I think I might look for a project in which to work on! I've been a bit remiss with meeting with the quilters group, monthly, too and Ann, the treasurer, was in recently and inspired me further to think all things QUILTY! I fear there are too many projects! too many techniques! and not enough TIME!

I really want to try flinging some beads too at my hand embroidery which I worked on a bit more today at college - I have added another stitch - a sort of "knotted" stitch the name of which escapes me at the moment and I think I might buy a handbook on embroidery stitches and label it "from Santa!" .. ha! ..

I'm looking forward to the next few weeks as we continue to cover quilting and the interesting part is learning about the background and history as well as the techniques and its good to do a taster of each element if only to produce samples for our coursework!

No comments: