Tuesday 9 October 2007

Projects: sewing and fabrics




Finished attaching the lining on my latest skirt, managed a better finish on this one by sewing the lining to a facing rather than waistband, it fits comfortably and as I generally wear skirts with this waist I'm hoping it will successful (I've nearly run out of fasteners, hence the other method!).
I have to make a jacket to accompany this skirt which can then be used for work, plenty of fabric I thought I might try another variation of skirt to maximise use.
The scarf was a quick project, just a narrow hem overlocked either side and left the shorter edges with the fringey selvedge, I wear these a lot for work.

The TOP! the New Look wraptop! is brilliant! I cut this out straight as from the pattern without any adjustments to see what the fit was like before I started jigging about with pivoting and sliding and bits of pinned tissue paper! pleasantly surprised that this is definitely wearable and due to the nature of stretch fabrics would be confident of making it up again as it is!

The fabric is well aged! I bought this for £0.25p/m at a local (ex) fabric outlet when my children were baby/toddler! it was meant for them! and indeed I did make them tiny tees too!! It is a bit bright, it probably IS as bright as it looks as you look at it now! it needs something, a bit of relief, I feel, perhaps some embroidery? I shall consider this on my next project before seaming.

The overlocker behaved very well and seamed it up with a finish on the sleeve and neck using my sewing machine's stitch no: 14, described as a "jersey stitch". A twin stretch needle produced a double st. st lower hem. I added stabiliser to the back/shoulders and also down each front neckline.

Napkins! Christmas napkins! I bought these about two years ago, and last year discovered a marvellous method, easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy, for perfect mitred corners! Unfortunately I didn't FINISH the job, and in the meantime temporarily LOST the link/instructions! happily I found it again (much to the relief of my cyber-pals!) and the close up shows just why I am pleased with these!

No comments: