Tuesday 16 October 2007

Creative Textiles Course : week 4

Excitement in class today!
We arrived to discover the table filled with lace projects, swatches and scarves ..
Lots of shrieking!
but not all necessarily over the afforementioned lace goodies!
ONE of the students SHRIEKED: "MOUSE! MOUSE! THERE'S A MOUSE!"
and sure enough, there WAS a mouse!
our tutor was practically ON the table top! she hates mice! (perhaps it wasn't wise to mention mouse ususally means MICE?)
Anyway it wasn't too long before the mouse was forgotten and we got back to the subject of this week, LACE KNITTING!
It was reassuring that other ladies who also knit, had had bother doing their cable swatches from the week before! I practically had my ripped off the needles and hurled in direction of the bin!
Some very kind knitters on Knit'n'Chat made sensible suggestions about reading charts and identifying symbols and I aim to calm down and try to get to grips with this using some of the tips!
(I'll let you know how I get on!).
Back to lace.
We looked at some patterns and we discussed how to manage shaping while maintaining pattern (this was a point I'd put forward after the disastrous attempt using the Patons cotton 4ply earlier this year which, you'll remember, I abandoned and took yarn back for refund!)
Anyway, Sarah has promised to look at this after half term with a view to sharing with class how to shape and maintain pattern (I think I'll have to let her off, however, as I don't think she realised quite how complicated this particular pattern actually IS!!).

I shared a couple of knitting magazines that had articles in them this issue (October) on articles on lace knitting, sock knitting and a masterclass in fairisle.
I wouldn't normally buy two similar mags from one month (in addition to the subscribed issue of Simply Knitting that should be arriving albeit late due to postal disturbances!) however due TO postal disturbances, I decided to buy the magazines anyway!

I'm knitting some samples for my folder and we were given a simple lace pattern to create a scarf (see next post for details and pictures).

My folder/sketch book is coming along well!
Up until now it has been a blank book!
I wasn't sure about how to go about setting it out and was confused with the idea of running TWO books. Last week I got stuck in and did three pages which I showed our tutor and she said it was rather fantastic and exceeded expectations which rather pleased me!
I might take a picture of it and share!

This week ended our sessions on hand knitting and after the half term break we move on to Kantha stitching and various other aspects of this and I'm not sure if she's moving patchwork/quilting in with this as it should have been surface design next!

I've chosen, too! my short presentation subject!
As we're now split into two groups, I'm in Level I along with the other newbies, it isn't obligatory for the Level I's to do this as part of the course offically as it is with our Level II group of ladies, however Sarah thinks it will be good for us as a group, therefore I'm not now going to do "socks" I'm going to blither on for 10mins generally about the history of hand knitting and tie it into my OWN history (okay, I confess, Sarah suggested that I could pass my folder round and let everyone spend 10mins reading my page on "my personal knitting history" which made me THINK .. what a blooming good idea!!)

Anyway, I'm not one for passing up the opportunity for talking for 10mins about what I enjoy MOST, they can read the journal entry in their OWN time!!

I need to complete my 2nd cable sample and set out pages for cable and fairisle and knit some lace samples and complete that page before concluding with a reflection of my own on this aspect - easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy SHOULD get that done in a WEEK .. ?

No comments: