Monday 29 October 2007

Creative Textiles Course : week 6

This week, and next, we're covering Kantha quilting!
One of our ladies who is doing her 2nd year and is a prolific knitter/stitcher, brought along two "samples" she just HAPPENED to have made which were rather fabbo and must have taken her HOURS to stitch!

Its all based on even small running stitches where the work is turned each time to create marvellous patterns which can be quite simple to really intricate!

We each had a go at a small sample and mine is HILARIOUS! nothing like the "easy" "beginners" "idiots guide TO Kantha" - even the tutor had to disguise a snort or two!! (I wasn't much better at drawing it either!)

IF I manage to complete my sample and IF it looks like YOU won't have to disguise a snort or two, I will upload a photo!

We've moved away from hand knitting now, and are looking at stitchwork and I think we might be moving on to patchwork and quilting this side of Christmas too!

The mouse problem has not been sorted - during half term - which we'd hoped. The pest controller came in and took a look but didn't appear to do anything! We're almost certain that the mouse problem IS in fact a MICE problem, as the clerical assistant popped in to say there mouse droppings all over her desk in their office too ..

Next week I have to take my sketchbook to be "marked"! luckily I managed to get it all done during the half term break bar a couple of photo's I plan to print out!

2 comments:

Fuzzy White Dogs said...

Not being quite sure what Kantha is, I went looking & found these pics: http://www.sashaworld.com/kantha/kantha.htm The way the stitches look reminds me very much of "huck embroidery". I had a great-aunt who did a lot of that (huck) and as a young teen I went through a period of doing it too. Haven't done it anymore since then though! LOL You didn't have to be able to draw a straight line because you used the weave of the fabric as your guide.

SewIknit2 said...

Thanks SEW much for the link!
I have finished my sample and might post a pic - provided everyone promises NOT to laugh!!
its really quite good fun too!
I think I shall concentrate on knitting at the moment for my mini project and am planning to try a few more techniques out before deciding on my final "piece" but looking at it has made me see the potential for creating similar effects using different methods!
GREAT FUN!
Take care!