Monday 19 May 2008

Sketchbook Cover

FINALLY my sketchbook cover project is complete!

Until it was complete, I didn't know if I liked it or not! The more I look at it the more I like it (even the pink ric-rac isn't DEFINITELY going to come off as of today!! even though I still feel this is the one part I like least)

The photo above shows it in its entirety, unfortunately I had to lose a bit of it to the turned under edges and typically the nicer parts are inside the cover!



These two photos, above and below, are close ups of various parts where you can see how in fact the lace layer I added and then hacked away at in attempt to remove, actually works rather well and I've ended up being PLEASED with it! (ignore the pink ric-rac, trust me it looks better in real and from a distance, but I know you are itching to get the seam ripper out and remove!)


The photo's above and below are of the completed cover on the book which has all the work within from the Creative Textiles course I've been attending this year - yummy SCRUMMY!


Layer of muslin followed by layer of wadding, then a piece of green silk dupion for the background start the project, added to this are pieces or layers of various fabrics mostly netting and organza's followed by a large piece of white overall lace (which I would omit another time) and a layer of pink organza completes the "sandwich".
My mistake was in using the 505 spray to hold it all together! it did hold it all together! rather too well and as well as discovering that it stains the dupion silk, it made it tricky to cut away at the layers when stitching into the piece! Next time I will tack it like the book said!!

I machined freely over the top before cutting into the layers and trimming to the machining to reveal the various fabrics adding more and more machining and cutting away at more layers. Hand stitches were added which gave me further opportunity to have a go at a few more examples from my book! Beads and a bit of ribbon and button and two flower heads finished it off!

The netting is the best bit! I was able to weave some of the lovely boucle thread I purchased from the Sewing for Pleasure show here and outlined a lace motif nearby. Some beads were "trapped" inside the "net".

I could have carried on stitching and flinging beads at it but decided to stop at this point!

No comments: