Tuesday 5 February 2008

Shock & Distress! Part 3 : recycled felted knitwear

Well the final part of the shock and distress of yarn experiment today came in the form of a purchased from local charity shop ladies jumper in 80% lambswool/20% nylon in shades of cream and grey with hint of pinky lavender (doesn't look as pretty in the photo for some reason!).

I had it in mind to try out as per article in Sewing World magazine a recycled knitted jumper into a new trendy BAG! But first I had to find a suitable jumper! Most of them seemed to mostly acrylic and after nearly giving up my neighbour managed to find one - red while I found another in lovely lime green before deciding upon this multicoloured one! At £3.00 each I had to make my mind up and though I was tempted with the lime green, then the red, I decided to go with this one!
Here is it before I started shocking and distressing it! Vital measurements were recorded - a size 10 underarms around the garment measured 33", centre back length 20.5" and the sleeves 23" (cuffs in ribbing each 3").

It the washing machine at 60deg wash with two of hubby's tennis balls for added agitation (ha! that'll show him!) it went and I waited .. for 2.25hrs ! zzzz


And here it is! out of the washing machine and beginning to felt and shrink up nicely!
Measurements now are 28" across the garment at underarm, sleeves down to 18" in length and sadly I forgot to record the centre back length!


This is the shock and distress bit: I decided to plunge it (having cut off the cuffs which didnt appear to have shrunk OR felted) into a bowl of boiling water before plunging it into ice cold (filled with all the ice cubes that hubby obviously thought we'd need over the Christmas but which we didn't on account of nearly giving up drinking!!) TWICE!! the fabric did seem to shrink before my eyes and after another rinse and spin cycle in the machine I duly recorded my final measurements:


The garment now measures 26" across under the arms, and has a length of 13.5" while the sleeves have now shrunk to 15"! (note to self: a size 10 jumper may not be big enough for a large bag, better be prepared for a small purse!!)

Its now drying over the radiator and I'll prepare my pattern and steps to sew the bag on Thursday now as I'm working tomorrow!

No comments: