Monday 18 February 2008

Out of the kitchen came (cake!)

Our 12yr old son asked could he cook for us during the half term and picked out some dishes he fancied and it fell to me to "assist" him on Sunday! (mostly I did all the washing up and any tricky bits he didn't fancy, but MOSTLY he did it all himself under supervision, of course, including handling the food processor and the hot oven!)

He made coleslaw which was very nice and even his brother decided it was nice! which accompanied an egg salad which we had for lunch. I was surprised he chose a salad dish as he doesn't do well, generally, with salad/veggies but he did a good job of eating enough of it to prevent my eyes narrowing and muttering about making more of an EFFORT PLEASE!



Cake cake CAKE! what can I say? it was glorious! yummy SCRUMMY and definitely went down a treat with the whole family! no surprise then that Matt declared the cake baking the best bit! We're not (aside from me!) great cake eaters in our house and if it were left to me I'd eat the lot myself so when Matt decided to make the rather luxurious version of a victoria sponge, I did rather fear/hope I'd cop for the lot!! He did a super job and it was quite nice to spend some time with him doing something he enjoyed of which we've not really done much since they outgrew the baking of gingerbread men etc when they were younger!)

For our dinner Matt roasted potatoes and prepared a pork chops with apple recipe which again was very popular and I think its inspired him to try cooking a bit more often and has asked could he cook us a meal by himself next time!

Well as everyone keeps pointing out, I'm not much good in the kitchen so if someone else fancies taking over, there'll be no opposition from me (especially if there is CAKE!)

4 comments:

Jules said...

IMPRESSIVE!!! What a nice young man you've raised. Congrats.;)

SewIknit2 said...

Thanks SEW much, Jules! I'm sure Matt will appreciate your kind comment too!
Sue

Anonymous said...

encourage him as much as you can with the cooking- I didn't cook for 11 years after the kids learnt how!

SewIknit2 said...

Dear Anon, thanks for the comment, it sounds like you are enjoying the benefits of home-cooking by YOUR kids already! I do hope to encourage them to enjoy it, afterall we all have to cook/eat.
Sue