Thursday 7 February 2008

The Final Finished Felted Bag!

(sorry! I've mixed the order of posts again, you really should read the next one first!)

Using the recommended faux suede for the lining and handles was a bit much given the overall finished size of my bag is much smaller and I'm pleased I thought to use the sleeves to make two tubes turned right way round with my handy turning gadget which was USEFULLY as well as kindly sent to me years ago by my long time cyber stitching pal Butterfly! Though I don't use my turning tools often, when I do, there is something rather satisfying in seeing the tube turn without any effort right way out almost by itself!! I thought I'd struggle with these two materials but no, they turned easily!

Unfortunately possibly due to my getting over enthusastic about finishing for the 2nd time and my unpicking and attempting to insert both the new handles and the omitted button loop, it ended up going in off centre! Having unpicked it once already I wasn't feeling like doing so again and decided that as this is much smaller than I would use practically, I have left it and leave it to you to decide whether you'd have done same or unpicked again!!




The handles look nice and it is long enough for me to be able to hook it over my shoulder as I walk which is my preferred way of carrying bags!

By lucky chance! too! I happened to unpick the side of the bag that had the least amount of patterning detail and thus the "front" of the buttoned bag is more patterned which can be seen from the photo in the next post below where draft one has a less patterned "front" - given I was lucky I decided to forgive myself the error in button loop placement.

Finished sizes:

9" across the bag, a depth of 3" and the length a short 6" with handles measuring 24"

Its a great little project and I'd definitely do this again and I'd definitely add the pocket (omitted) and seek advice on more effective closure for security of contents too!

2 comments:

Jules said...

Nicely done! Great job--very cute!:)

SewIknit2 said...

Thanks Jules, I enjoyed doing the project and plan to look for more knitwear to recycle!
Sue