Tuesday 26 February 2008

Creative Textiles Course : week 11

Theme continued this week on COLOUR!
We're to have a break from all the writing next week and have a session working on knitted samples

I find colour personally rather hard to grasp, but, interestingly, talking to fellow student, Jackie, it sounds as though my disappointment with the dreaded quilt which has been long since abandoned and shoved into bag and forgotten about MIGHT be rather more down to disappointment with choice of colours and lack of complementaries rather than the pattern itself, or, indeed, the choice OF lilac shaded colour!
I've promised to look at it with fresh eyes to see if a zingy sashing could somehow revive interest in it!


Lots of blank pages I'm afraid in my sketchbooks on this weeks homework which has been a rather mind blowing set of exercises which suggest that one should dip into work basket and come out with a handful of pastels, brights and cools and intermingle them to come up with a fairisle cardigant!


Struggled my way through 2.5days worth of angst about whether this particular shade of purple was in fact belonging to red-violet OR blue before deciding it could jolly well go back into the work basket and perhaps I'd be better playing SAFE with red and green!

Below you can see I''ve managed to follow my colour wheel sufficiently to match up its complementary and splits, either side, but whether I shall be brave enough to try it with another less obvious colour scheme I don't know at this point!



Interesting article on colour in Quilting Arts magazine suggested that disappointment might not be with the COLOUR rather the tone of it, and suggested that one pull out all fabric swatches and make notes on those colours (or should that be hue?) tints, tones and shades and trot off to local quilty shop for further supplies in order to explore colour further .. spent half an hour using up most of notebook and calculated estimated cost of this exercise to be around £350 ..

Decided had less chance of convincing family of this that I would the Embellisher machine and the D.Bliss cashmere scarf put together so decided, instead, to work with what I could FIND!

Surprised myself with a/ finding all that I apparently needed IN my work baskets and b/ found myself ENJOYING myself sorting through and finding colours that I didn't know I had!

Having decided there is a definite theme going on in both my house and the wardrobe after I sat and realised that my entire upstairs (except lads' bedroom which is blue) is actually PURPLE. including the towels and, sadly, even the shower gel and loo cleaning bleach. In fact I've just realised th dining room is also blue. which makes me a mono-chromatic household? (or is that the black. grey, and white? doesn't matter. the WARDROBE is black, grey, white and navy!).

Have managed to do about 3 or 4 of the exercises and feel quite pleased that my book/homework is still up to date and that will have to do, for now!

PS: before I make a complete FOOL of myself, would anyone who knows care to tell me WHERE I'll find BROWN on the colour wheel? I'm blowed if I can find it as a colour and, irritatingly, I've got several shades of brown quilting cotton fabric and about 4 knitting yarns too - slightly concerned its either not an actual "colour" OR I've got a dodgy colourwheel?

3 comments:

makeitsew07 said...

I told you there was nuffin wrong with those quilt blocks, lol.. send them to meeee.. NO you can't have my 200 in exchange...

Brown is a mix of colors. I think if you mixed equal parts of two complementary colors you would get brown.. try it with paints.. sometimes it comes up a bit muddy ...
Val can tell you more cos she has probably managed to make brown a few times :-)

SewIknit2 said...

Perhaps I'll take a look with fresh eyes at the dratted quilt then! (or I could send it to YOU for finishing? cough!).
Thanks for the brown bit, I'll ask Val for further tips too!
LOVE the quilt you've just finished with the teacups etc - super colours too - am going colour-MAD lately have opened my eyes, at last!
Sue

Val said...

I've nominated your blog. Now you have to nominate ten blogs to keep it going!