Monday 4 February 2008

Creative Textiles - week 13

Today we did mostly paperwork (zzzzz) filling in our learner's agreements and various handouts on health and safety and planning for projects, catching up on our sketch books and looking ahead to what we need to think about for our main piece of "work" that will be due around May time.

The centre was freeeezing cold this morning, I don't think they switch the heating on prior to our arrival and it didn't really warm through for the 2hrs we were there!

We looked at our grids and general felting samples undertaken with some lovely examples of this - I especially liked the black felted grid with strings of yarns across and also the green grid with all the lovely fibres in browns and black.

I was pleased that others, too, had experienced problems with getting their felt to "felt" and its generally thought that a bit of needle felting might be in order to complete the process - I'm not sure I'd want to actually wear a felted fibre gridded piece, but it looks rather nice in my sketch book!!

Our tutor, Sarah, brought along a rather nice felted bowl and described how it is made which sounded interesting and she's threatening to make us do one I mean offered to find time if we want to make one! next term!

Picked up some tips about adding boiling water to aid the felting process and also that care should be taken to buy fibres in small amounts and USE THEM - apparently stashing them and then finding they might be "dry" and not felting as well as they might could be disappointing!

We were invited to look through some old magazines and I brought home to read a copy of an embroidery magazine which had a lovely article in for "deconstructing" the embroidery stitch, when I get chance I might have a go at this - basically one would stitch rows of - for example - chain st, fly st or herringbone st, up and down quite close together and densely before sealing the reverse side of the work with fusing a piece of interfacing and then cutting, slashing and trimming closely before tufting the ends of the embroidery stitches in sections to generally "distress" areas. (I think I'd be quite distressed myself at cutting at the stitches but the accompanying photo's looked rather interesting and might be worth a go if only a small sample size!!).

I'm not sure yet what my project will be, I have a couple of ideas in my head however one of them is out due to the time constraint - TEN HOURS (only)!
(it can take me 2hrs to get started!) we have to account for both time and money spent on our finished piece and I'm hoping I can effect an overdraft facility by way of using from stash and loaning any credits to the "time" bank! (I could, given the size of my stash, offer a bribe and get twice as many hours! but then would I really want to to give away my stash?).

Gold star to me this week for being a complete prefect for filling IN my paperwork ahead of time and in lots of detail too!!
(having had a fortnight at home I had lots of time to catch up and it was one of my goals for the time home to get my coursework up to date but never the less, was pleased to have done it all ahead of time as now I can try out a few more "things"!!).

(Slightly worried about the Kiri project. This hasn't got any further beyond going UPSTAIRS to sewing room to be bagged and then coming back DOWNSTAIRS to be worked on. MUST check if this needs to be completed also, by May, if sew I might need to switch to flower arranging double quick!!).

No comments: