Thursday 7 February 2008

Recycled knitwear to bag - felted project

Using a pattern and instructions from Sewing World magazine, January 2007 issue, I rushed through the lengthy instructions to finish my recycled knitted jumper-to-bag because I just wanted to see it complete and couldn't imagine that it'd be any "good"!
which is a shame really, as I ended up having to unpick it and remake it altering the handle and adding the button loop and it stretched a little and I'm afraid my bag isn't the best it SHOULD have been had I just taken my time and worked a bit more carefully (and PRESSING!! as I sew!)
Never mind.
On this post is the first make of this bag:
The Pattern

Handles attached (back to front due to misunderstanding the instructions right sides uppermost and thinking they meant right sides together!) and bag and lining sewn together.

Starting to pull through the bag and the handle through an opening in the base of the lining

Scary moment as it all comes out through the opening in the lining but doesn't, at first, seem quite right!

And here it is! the finished bag!


I was quite pleased with it, and to be honest had I not made a glaring error in putting the handles on upside down (matters made worse in that I'd flung them under the machine and thus they weren't the best stitched!) AND made the handles rather too long for the eventual size of this bag which is considerably smaller than was obviously anticipated from the pattern instructions which call for the pattern to be enlarged 130%! (remember I used a ladies UK size 10 jumper) I'd not have bothered to unpick it all, however I'm glad I did as inspiration struck and I decided to replace the handles with felted "sleeves" instead of the strap from the faux suede lining and it makes the whole bag that much nicer and unique!

No comments: