Monday 20 August 2007

Days Out! Teenage Angst! and new handbags!







We had a nice couple of days out which included a drive out to Market Harborough where we spent a couple of hours walking and enjoying a pleasant drink in a country pub after walking round one of the Battle field trails at nearby Bosworth Battlefield Heritage Centre and Country Park. Unfortunately the main exhibition is closed for refurbishment but we had an interesting time there anyway and would revisit in the future.
While driving down we rather rashly suggested that Matt might bring along some of his new cd's that he'd had bought for him for his recent birthday. By the end of the journey we were ready to jump off a high bridge! We had to stop twice for Les to wipe the tears! and felt thoroughly depressed! all that angst! all that heartache! I don't remember my teenage years like that, but it must be different these days! I suggested on the way back that we might listen to some Abba! or some Steps! or even Britney or Kylie .. but I was told in no uncertain terms that I must NEVER EVER mention that he might have liked these in a pre teen age ..
oh well.
pity.
I quite enjoyed singing-along to some of those jolly tunes.
Now, I suppose we've got to listen to bands like My Chemical Romance and others that I can't quite remember offhand having never HEARD OF THEM before.
Found myself saying things that I swore I'd NEVER say to MY children in that "old parent" way of "WHO did you say he was? .. WHAT sort of name is THAT then!?" and (worse) "can we turn it DOWN please?" (headache from volume and all the crashing and thudding).
Anyway we all had a good day out and the weather was generally kind to us and best of all we managed to get my birthday present!!
A lovely little handbag shop revealed a selection of gorgeous bags to be on special offer! I couldn't resist looking and before long had selected a pair which the assistant kept for me while we finished the day out/walking. I have had these as my "birthday present".
We don't in our family generally "do" birthdays. Other than the children, of course. It started when money was tight after I gave up work to have the children, and has continued to be our habit that basically money is STILL tight despite my return to (part time) work!!!

Never mind. generally we afford what we want as well as what we might need its just there's no surprise on the day! In the days when I could afford to buy things I used to regularly buy handbags, these days I make one last until it collapses! which mine has been in a state of for the last 6 months or so! the zip went initially but I managed to find a way to get its teeth to connect which was successful on most occasions but I got into the habit of gripping in with my hand just in case it hadn't closed and it will be nice to go out without worrying if your bag is open or not!!

Lastly! we stopped off at nearby Atherton and found a rather nice bookshop which had a copy of a Kaffe Fasset knits book! for £5! We'd hardly got UP the road when the family started groaning! up ahead -- a WOOL SHOP!! they had that resigned expression as they headed over to a bench and sat down looking glum as I pinged the doorbell as I entered for a closer look!

It was a nice shop. they had some nice (and new) yarns but nothing out of the ordinary and mostly baby yarn and mostly acrylicy stuff. I was wearing my new bamboo top and the assistant looked quite pleased to see me but sadly there was nothing there I could feel justified in buying!

Finished the evening off with a meal out at lovely little pub that Les had previously celebrated his 60th birthday couple of years ago with his work colleagues before coming home and collapsing with a cup of tea and a sit down!

No comments: