Tuesday 4 December 2007

Kiri! my textiles course project! & patchwork



Here is my progress to date on Kiri, my textiles course mini-project for Winter 2007! (stop laughing!) (its harder than one might know!). I do enjoy this knitting even if it does require some considerable concentration!
Others, around me, are talking excitedly about this new craze of the ninendo brain games and brilliant they are - well! my brain is certainly undergoing a punishing exercise regime worthy of any forthcoming event trying to match my decreases to yarn overs at the RIGHT place and trying to keep track of where I actually AM is doing wonders for my lack of geographical skills!
That aside, I am grateful to my cyber knitting pals who had suggested things like swatch and sample knitting and lifelines (and LARGE glasses of wine!)
Currently I am on chart 2 and about to commence a repeat of "three" - it won't be long before I switch to my circular needle and THAT ought to be a challenge too!



I finally finished my Christmas table runner! I've included it with textiles course progress as, although not strictly a "course project", it was undertaken after we started looking at the crazy patch style and I "found" that I actually enjoyed paper piecing!!
I must, again, thank my cyber sewing pals for all THEIR help in this respect and find it really heart warming that there are such lovely knowledgeable and talented ORDINARY folk that are just happy to share and help with crafty matters, I feel lucky to have a great bunch of friends and now through this course, a NEW bunch of great friends, craftily wise!
You'll see (just about!! - sorry! NOT a good idea to take a photo of a white based fabric against a white background, duh!) that I did indeed take up Debs' suggestion of a "piped" finish and while I didn't exactly do a thoroughly great job of handling the piping, particularly around the corners and at the "ends" its good enough for our table!
While closely examining, you'll see also that I let loose my sewing machine to whizz randomly around it with a green cotton Robison Anton thread in a manner which MIGHT be termed as "quilting" but in fact the trail of cotton resembles rather more a terrified wasp being chased by a fly-swatt-wielding party of folk having a picnic!




This is my latest project, not, as you can see, quite finished! again sorry for the shot against a white background (our deep freezer!) where the fabric IS in fact a very light colour too!
I'm not terribly convinced about this project colour wise I wish I'd used other combinations of my bargain FQ's however I plan to use the green print to border the outer sides and whether I'll pipe it or ask for a further suggestion on finishing remains to be seen!!

I've enjoyed the novelty of working with the patterns and am now a thoroughly convinced fan of this technique and will look in the future to doing another project similarly!

No comments: