Thursday 10 July 2008

Grocery bags - shoppers!

Today I had a mad shopping bag making up day!
Two reasons: one to continue my quest to use up my extensive stash of fabric many of which pieces are very well aged! and two, to try and be a little more "green" when doing the household grocery shop in not using those plastic bags which while you CAN re-use them a time or two after, they don't really hold up as well.



I've used a selection of fabrics including some which I've been sent in the past from swaps or gifts from cyber pals (faux patchwork fabric bag above, and the super wolf print in the bag below) and some is from my Late Mother's stash (the white super strong! fabric in the bag below and lining the bag above).



The blue check fabric below is a well aged piece of fabric I must have bought around 12+yrs ago! I have made boys' shorts, rucksacks, a bag for myself that I can reliably remember, maybe more! and this is the last of it! I've lined it with some super outerwear peachskin waterproof fabric and made up a double zippered pocket with the idea that this will be a general shopper while the others are strictly grocery shopping!


The patterns for both the bag and the handy pocket are from my cyber-pal-Carol's own design and is a complete WHIZZ to make up as it so very nearly doesn't work until the very end and is in fact the larger sized variation of the tiny project bags I've made before. The best part about the pattern, is that it DOES work! and is easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy once you've mastered the "maths" part. Construction is a breeze and the really BEST part is the base and joining of lining!

All I have to do to complete, is topstitch around the upper edge.
I have one more bag not quite complete and plenty more fabric to cut to make further ones!
Hubby announced he is NOT going shopping with any of these, or at least wouldn't be seen dead carrying them! (he will! however!!).

The blue bag has an opportunity for first outing this Saturday as we are off on a grand trip to good old Skeggie as part of a coach/works trip although I suspect it will be my job to carry it!

1 comment:

SandyQuilts said...

Darling and congrats on using well aged stash. BUT where is Carol's site?